Logo © One Movie, Five Views - Header design by Erin V.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wild Things: Controversy or Confusion?

By John C.


Like many people, I’ve been anticipating Spike Jonze’s adaptation of Where The Wild Things Are for quite some time. I’ve watched the trailers countless times, and it gets better every time. Each bit of new footage is just as brilliant, if not more, then the last one. Near tears from watching the trailer? I’ve been there. I find the soundtrack to be truly magical, and really captures the spirit of what I've seen of the film. I’m sure I’m not the only who has "All Is Love" pleasantly stuck in their head.


I don’t think I’m the only one who’s heart raced with anticipation when Maurice Sendak said at the end of the Wild Things featurette that “there will be controversy about this”. What exactly does that mean? Full-blown protests, or just confusion from people not knowing what the heck to think of the film?


I personally think that there will be some people very against what Spike Jonze has done. Parents who don’t think it’s appropriate for young kids will likely speak out against the film. The vulnerable feel and atmosphere of the world that they’ve created, and the way that it addresses the needs, fears and troubles that kids go through, will probably be considered by some “too mature” for young kids.


On the flip side, I think adults who grew up with the book are the ones who are really looking forward to this film. I think the college-age crowd is really going to love it. The hip-indie soundtrack and Spike Jonze direction are sure signs of this.


If Wild Things lives up to the high expectations, which I think it will, it’s going to be a masterpiece. I haven’t seen the film quite yet, but my anticipation is through the roof, and the suspense is killing me. All I’ll say is, check back for our reviews of Where The Wild Things Are on Friday, October 16th at 12:00 am.

No comments: