A Bugs Life, Pixar’s second feature film, is often forgotten when people think of Pixar. It is also considered one of their worst films. I think A Bugs Life is a great film in it’s own right. I think people may not like it because of it’s contradictory tones of cute animation and a fairly dark storyline. But it is also highly entertaining and quite smart. This animated gem should not be forgotten among Pixar’s other films.
A Bugs Life Trivia*
• The pickup truck to the left of the mobile home when the bug flies into the bug light is the same pizza delivery truck that Buzz and Woody climb into at the gas station in Toy Story
• The face of Geri from the Pixar short film Geri's Game can be seen modeled in the tree above the ant colony
• When Hopper tells the ants why they should gather food for the grasshoppers, he mentions that it is a "circle of life thing". This is a reference to The Lion King
• According to the commentary, the character "Dim" was based on the character in A Clockwork Orange with the same name
• The circus "train" is made of boxes of animal crackers called Casey Jr. This is also the name of the circus train in the movie Dumbo
• The boxes in P.T. Flea's circus train have the name "J. Grant" on them. 'Joe Grant' wrote Dumbo
• This was the first computer generated feature film to be presented in a scope ratio of 2.35:1
• The tunnel in a tunnel joke was made in reference to Steve Jobs' (CEO of Pixar and Apple) plan for Apple's "store in a store"
• The two mosquitoes trapped in the light of the bugzapper ("Frank, don't go towards the light!" "I can't help it - it's so beautiful!") are the voices of the co-directors, John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton
This is the first Pixar film since Finding Nemo not to be presented in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. It will be presented in an aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Which will give more of a sense of height (perfect for a movie called “Up” ), rather than a sense of width.
*All trivia is courtesy of IMDb